Friday, July 22, 2011

Lawn 911! Pet Poisonous Cocoa Bean Mulch


Lawn 911! Pet Poisonous Cocoa Bean Mulch

dog with cocoa bean mulch
If your dog likes to spend sunny days lazing in the garden, his treat-seeking nose may lead him to one danger in particular: sweet-smelling cocoa bean mulch.
Many gardeners are familiar with the use of cocoa bean shells, a by-product of chocolate production, in landscaping. It’s especially popular for its attractive odor and color and eventual degradation into organic fertilizer. But many pet parents don’t realize that cocoa mulch, if eaten in large quantities by mischievous dogs, can be toxic.
“Dogs are attracted to the fertilizer’s sweet smell,” says Dr. Steven Hansen, ASPCA Chief Operating Officer, “but like chocolate, cocoa bean mulch can be too much for our canine companions.”
Ingestion of large amounts of cocoa bean mulch may cause a variety of clinical signs, including:
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • elevated heart rate
  • hyperactivity
  • muscle tremors
  • neurological disturbances
Dr. Hansen recommends that the gardeners among us consider using a nontoxic alternative, such as shredded pine, cedar or hemlock bark, to beautify their yards. These will keep your pooch and your garden happy and healthy.
If you suspect your dog has ingested cocoa bean mulch, please contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.

I read this on the ASPCA's web site and I thought I would share it with all of my readers.  Our pets health is important to us as I know your pets health is important to you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails